Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Tortellini with Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce

Back to healthy eating now that the holidays are done! This is one I came across during my cookbook indexing project (which will probably take me forever to finish) and thought it sounded good, plus I had a can of crushed tomatoes in the pantry I figured I could use instead of fresh tomatoes. It's from a Pampered Chef cookbook.

Tortellini with Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce
1 package (20 ounces) uncooked refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
6-8 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped (3 cups)
3 Tbsp snipped fresh basil leaves
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh parmesan cheese

Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain. Meanwhil, core tomatoes and cut crosswise in half and remove seeds. Coarsely chop tomatoes, set aside. Add snipped basil, vinegar, salt, and pepper to tomatoes; mix together. Heat oil over medium heat. Add pressed garlic, stir 1 minute or until garlic is lightly browned. Remove pan from heat. Add tortellini and tomato mixture; toss gently. Spoon pasta into serving bowl. Sprinkle grated parmesan over pasta.

*****

I'm using a bag of frozen tortellini that's only 16 ounces...oops. And like I said above, I'm using canned tomatoes not fresh. I think that's all I'm going to change about it.

No comments: