Monday, January 21, 2008

Catfish Po'Boys

I'm back in the land of the living! Actually I've been feeling pretty good since Saturday, just haven't made dinner. That's not really true either, for our date night Saturday the husband and I ended up making pizzas at home instead of going out, but it wasn't anything exciting. We were going to grill them, but 1) the store we went to was out of fresh pizza dough, and 2) it was really cold outside!

So now it's back to making dinners. When I was at the store a couple weeks ago they had had catfish nuggets on Manager's Special, so I stocked up and got three packages. I found this recipe for Catfish Po'Boys several years ago in Cooking Light, and I just haven't seen catfish on sale in a really long time, so we haven't had them in forever. I'm totally excited to have them tonight!

Catfish Po'Boys
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (such as McCormick)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fat-free sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
Dash of crushed red pepper
2 cups bagged broccoli coleslaw
4 (2 1/2-ounce) hoagie rolls with sesame seeds, toasted

Combine milk and catfish in a large bowl, tossing gently to coat. Remove fish from bowl; shake off excess milk. Sprinkle fish with salt. Combine cornmeal and Cajun seasoning in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add fish to bag. Seal and shake to coat.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish; cook 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

While fish cooks, combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients (vinegar through pepper) in a medium bowl. Add broccoli coleslaw; toss well to coat. Spoon 1/2 cup slaw mixture onto bottom half of each roll. Arrange fish evenly over each serving, and top with top halves of rolls.

*****

I think I'm going to set a couple pieces aside for the boy that won't have the cajun seasoning on them. He wasn't very fond of that with the chicken wraps we had last week, so his can just be breaded with cornmeal. I'm also not using hoagie rolls, I bought a baguette (sp?) at the store and will cut that into pieces to use instead. It's a bit more traditional that way.

No comments: