Thursday, January 10, 2008

Pork Chops with Country Gravy and Mashed Potatoes

We haven't had this dinner in quite awhile. I had to come up with another new idea today since John nixed the tamale pie (okay, I nixed that one) and chili casseroles I had planned on making this week. I had some pork chops in the freezer (actually a pork loin roast I cut into four one-pound pieces, then I cut chops from one of the pieces) and realized we haven't had this in a long time. The first time I made it I fell in love with the gravy. It's so yummy--especially for being light!

Pork Chops with Country Gravy and Mashed
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 1 inch thick)
1 teaspoon butter
1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated mashed potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt evenly over both sides of pork. Add 1 teaspoon butter to pan, stirring until butter is melted. Add the pork to pan, and cook pork for 3 minutes on each side. Remove pork from pan, and keep warm.

Combine low-fat milk and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add the milk mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, poultry seasoning, and black pepper. Return pork to pan. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer for 7 minutes or until gravy is thick and pork is done.

While pork cooks, prepare potatoes according to package directions. Serve with pork.

*****

Mmmmm...doesn't it sound so down-home and yummy?! I love me some gravy! And I have to admit when I make this it's probably not as healthy as it should be. I trim the fat off the pork, but then I put the pieces of fat in the pan to cook to give it a little extra flavor. Clever, huh? We're not technically eating it, but the flavor gets in there. I've also made this gravy and added sausage to it for biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

Oh, and I don't buy refrigerated potatoes, I just make my own mashed potatoes. Potatoes on their own are a lot cheaper than the already made mashed ones...why spend the money when all you have to do is boil potatoes, drain, add milk and butter?

No comments: