Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Chicken Soft Tacos

Okay, we actually had this for dinner last night, I just forgot to update the blog. I got a smaller version of the cold John had over the weekend, so I napped when Will did yesterday...and it was soooooooooo nice. :) Since I wasn't feeling 100%, I figured something easy in the crockpot would be best.

I love this recipe. It's ridiculously easy and so good. We hadn't had it in quite awhile, but it's usually something we have somewhat often.

Chicken Soft Tacos
1.5 pounds frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 envelope taco seasoning
Various taco fixings

Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. In small bowl, combine tomatoes and taco seasoning. Pour over chicken. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Remove chicken and shred. In a medium bowl, place shredded chicken and add sauce from crockpot until saucy-ness level of chicken is to your liking. Serve in tortillas with whatever taco toppings you like.

*****

The last part about saucy-ness was my own addition. The official recipe just has you shred it, but I like a little of the sauce in with it to give it some more flavor. I actually didn't have the tomatoes with green chilies, I had a can of fire roasted tomatoes with garlic, so I used that. I also added 1/2 a cup of pureed sweet potatoes to the mixture ala Deceptively Delicious. No one was any the wiser. I wanted to tell John about it, but then I figured he'd become suspicious of everything I make. I think not using the tomatoes with chilies and also adding in the sweet potato made these less spicy than usual, which was good because Will doesn't usually eat it well if it's spicy, and he was all over this last night!

No comments: