Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Chicken Bourguignon



I have to say that I am SO EXCITED for this dinner. My awesome sister-in-law Tracie sent me this recipe four years ago when they were living in Switzerland for a year. She got it from a cookbook they bought once they moved there and said it was one of their favorites. It kind of got lost in my email recipe folder, and I just recently came across it again when I was organizing four years worth of recipe emails. Hey, at least I finally got around to organizing!! Don't judge me.

Anyway, I read the recipe and started drooling all over my keyboard. I vowed once chicken legs went on sale I'd make it. Then what happened? Chicken legs were on manager's special the next time I went grocery shopping. Woo hoo!! I love when the stars align in my favor. I've had them in my freezer for a couple weeks now and was going to make this last week, but then we were all sick. I know, I know...why did I hold on to them for so long when I was so excited to make it? I have no answer. But I'm making it tonight and CANNOT WAIT!

Chicken Bourguignon

4 chicken legs w/ thighs attatched
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup cubed thick raw bacon
1/2 bottle white wine
1 small can whole tomatoes, cut up
4 cups chicken broth (add enough to almost cover chicken)
1 whole branch of rosemary
1 whole branch of thyme
2/3 small jar of pearl onions in vinegar, drained,washed
chopped parsely to garnish (optional)

Salt and pepper the chicken. Saute in large skillet with butter till brown. Remove chicken and keep warm. Throw away fat.

Saute bacon in same pan till cooked well. Add mushrooms and stir. Add wine and simmer till liquid is reduced by half.

Add tomatoes and juice from can and let cook 5 minutes. Add broth, and herbs and let slowly boil. Rinse onions and add to sauce. Place chicken back in sauce and simmer slowly for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Remove herb branches, season with salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with parsely (optional). Serve with steamed rice.

*****

Oh how I wish I had a Le Creuset dutch oven to cook this in!! I don't think my 3.5 quart enamel pot will do the trick. Sigh. Life will go on, I suppose.

Have I mentioned how excited I am to try this???


No comments: