Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Shrimp Scampi

It's another two-for-one day! My MOMS Club has a Cooking Club once a month where a recipe is demonstrated and cooked. I hosted this month's and made a Weight Watchers shrimp scampi. We don't eat shrimp anymore since it's really high in cholesterol, so it was a fun treat to make this since I rarely get to eat shrimp. This was in the WW cookbook "Take Out Tonight" I think it's called. It's one of my favorite WW cookbooks...just about every recipe I've tried from it is good, and they're divided up into ethnic food secions: Italian, Mexican, Deli Food, Indian, Chines, Japanese, Thai, Greek. There might be one or two more, but I can't think of what they are. Anyway, here's the recipe:

Weight Watchers Shrimp Scampi
WW Points: 3 points
4 tsp butter (teaspoon, not tablespoon!)
1 shallot, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, butterflied, and deveined
2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Lemon wedges

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, then add the shallot and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Return pan to heat, cook until shrimp are pink. Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.

Makes four servings, six shrimp per serving.

*****

It was a big hit! Everyone really liked it, including the kids. Well, not my kid, but all the other kids did! Scampi is usually just dripping with butter, but this is a really healthy, flavorful version. And it's super easy to make. The most labor and time intensive part is butterflying the shrimp, but once that's done it's super easy! The real recipe calls for you to broil the shrimp, but I don't see any reason to diry another pan, so I just do them in the same skillet. Plus shrimp cook really fast anyway, no reason to broil.

No comments: