Thursday, January 3, 2008

Cheeseburger Hoagie Sandwiches

So, are you guys enjoying all the new recipes so far this week? I've been enjoying making new things, and so far everything has been good. Phew! Will the streak continue?! Let's hope so.

This recipe comes from another Pampered Chef cookbook (I have many of them), and I thought it looked intriguing. I'm changing it up a bit, but I'll explain all of that after the recipe!

Cheeseburger Hoagie Sandwiches
1 package (11 ounces) refrigerated French bread dough
4 slices reduced-fat American cheese, divided
12 ounces 95% lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tsp yellow mustard
1 cup thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
1 plum tomato, sliced

Preheat oven to 350. Place bread dough on cutting board, stretch slightly. Cut dough into four equal portions. Cut three diagonal slits on top of each portion of dough; place seam side down and 3 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove loaves from baking sheet to a cooling rack.

Cut two slices of the cheese into small pieces. In a 10-inch skillet, cook and stir beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles. Drain. Stir in ketchup, mustard, and cut-up cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Remove skillet from heat.

Slice each loaf lengthwise, end to end, cutting halfway through to center of loaf; spread open. Fill evenly with beef mixture; place on baking stone. Bake 6-8 minutes or until bread is toasted and meat mixture is heated through; remove from oven.

Cut remaining cheese slices diagonally in half; top each sandwich with one cheese traingle. Top sandwiches with lettuce and tomato slices.

*****

I'm using hoagie rolls that I have left from Meatball Sandwiches a few nights ago instead of going out and buying a thing of french bread dough. I'm also going to used reduced fat shredded cheese because I have that and didn't want to buy more cheese slices. I also don't have lettuce or tomato, but we usually eat burgers without any fixings, so I think it will be okay. The picture in the cookbook looks really good, so I'm excited to try them. I think I'll just bake some crinkle fries to have on the side. Oh yeah, and I'm using veggie grounds instead of ground beef.

No comments: