Monday, January 28, 2008

Tofu Fried Rice

Those of you who have been reading my blog for awhile (i.e. my husband, brother, Jen A., and Joanne) may remember us trying this recipe before and not liking it. I didn't have enough soy sauce last time, so I figured it was worth another go. Plus all I needed to buy were the frozen peas and carrots.

Tofu Fried Rice
2 cups uncooked instant rice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 (14-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, drained and cut into (1/2-inch) cubes
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) slices green onions
1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
1 teaspoon bottled minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons sake (rice wine)
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
Thinly sliced green onions (optional)

Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. While rice cooks, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan. Add eggs to pan; cook 1 minute or until done, breaking egg into small pieces. Remove from pan. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to pan. Add 1 cup onions, peas and carrots, garlic, and ginger; sauté 2 minutes.

While vegetable mixture cooks, combine sake, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and sesame oil. Add cooked rice to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tofu, egg, and soy sauce mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.

*****

I don't use the instant rice, I had some white rice left from the gumbo so I made that instead of my usual brown rice. I have to say, I love the cooking time of white rice over brown rice, but I like the taste of brown rice better. I also don't have any fresh ginger, so I figure I'll sprinkle some ground up ginger in the pan. And since my two year old is going to eat it, I'm hesitant about using sake, so I'm going to use rice wine vinegar instead.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't forget me! I read your blog too!