Thursday, January 31, 2008

Hoisin Pork Medallions

I bought a pork loin roast at the store this week and need to cut it up, so I figured I'd make this. We haven't had it in awhile, and it's really yummy. It calls for a pork tenderloin sliced into medallions, but I always make it with pork chops.

Hoisin Pork Medallions
Cooking Spray
1 Tbsp dark sesame oil
1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1-pound pork tenderloin, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
6 Tbsp water
1/3 cup dry sherry
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
2 cups hot cooked long-grain rice, cooked without salt or fat
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add oil, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add pepper and garlic; saute 1 minute. Add pork; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove pork from skillet. Wipe drippings from skillet with a paper towel.

Combine water and next 3 ingredients in skillet; cook over medium heat 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return pork to skillet, turning to coat. Place rice on a platter; spoon pork mixture over rice and sprinkle with green onions.

*****

I heart hoisin sauce. I don't remember the first time I used it, but it's something I always keep in my fridge now. It's kind of like Chinese ketchup or barbecue sauce. If you've had mu shu, hoisin is the sauce they spread on the pancake/crepe.

Now having said that I want some mu shu!

No comments: