Thursday, January 24, 2008

Brats

Oops...forgot to post yesterda! I started a photography class on Wednesday nights; it runs for six weeks. Wednesday night dinners are going to be something super easy and fast or crockpot while I have this class. My friend Jen B. is taking it with me. We might be in a little over our heads, but we're hoping to find the artists within us. Or that's what we're telling ourselves anyway.

So last night's dinner was ridiculously easy. We had Boca Brats, and I just followed the instructions on the box for cooking them...nothing exciting. I did slice up a green pepper and onion and sauteed those to go with. I also found out that my son LOVES raw green peppers--just like his mommy! I wanted a side dish to go with it and found the following recipe on allrecipes.com. It was okay. The husband really liked it (reminded him of hash browns scattered and covered at the Waffle House), but I don't think it's anything I'd make again.

Bob Evans® Au Gratin Potatoes
1 (20 ounce) package Bob Evans® Hash Brown Potatoes
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a greased 7 x 11 x 2 inch baking pan, place half of potatoes. Sprinkle flour, then 1/2 cup cheddar cheese on top. Cover with remaining potatoes. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper over, then pour on the milk. Pour the butter over top. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown.

*****

I skipped the parmesan cheese and butter on top. I didn't feel like shredding parmesan, and I was in a hurry to get it in the oven and didn't want to take the time to melt butter. I think maybe if everything had been mixed up and then put in the baking pan, it would have been better.

The brats, in case you were wondering, were actually really good. And MUCH healthier than regular brats. They only had three Weight Watcher points per brat. I don't know what regular ones have, but I have to figure it's significantly more.

No comments: