Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Stuffed Shells

Okay, we actually had this last night for dinner, I just kept forgetting to get online and type up the recipe. Here's a little secret...I'm much faster at putting up my recipes when they're online or on the computer already. When I have to type them out, I procrastinate. Anyway, I'll pretend it's yesterday and just type up the recipe as is and then tell you all the changes I ended up having to make in the review.

BTW, this is a Weight Watchers recipe (4 points per serving), in case you keep track of that. Which I should but don't.

Stuffed Shells
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup fat free cottage cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 cups canned tomato sauce
1 pound cooked pasta, jumbo shells, approximately 24 shells

Preheat oven to 375. Mix together cheeses, salt, garlic powder, oregano, and pepper. Spread a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce on bottom of a 9x13 pan. When cooked shells are cool enough to handle, fill each shell with cheese mixture and place in baking dish. When all shells are in dish, spoon remaining tomato sauce over shells. Cover pan and back for 20 minutes. Yields about 4 shells per serving.

*****

Now, on the recipe I have written next to the cheeses "more of each." Not sure if that's because we love cheese or it just didn't make enough filling for all of the shells. I have also written that 20 minutes is not a long enough cooking time, but I failed to write down how long I ended up cooking them for. I'm sure this was one of those nights where I kept setting the timer for five more minutes, checking and finding out the middle was still cold, setting it for seven more minutes, etc. I'd also bet our son ended up having a hot dog because it got to be too late for him to eat, and John and I ate after he went to bed. Oh, and a tip on the shells...24 shells is roughly the whole package, so just pour the whole box into the boiling water, don't waste your time counting them out. Learned that one the hard way. Or long way I guess.

No comments: