Thursday, October 18, 2007

Chicken Chowder

I came across this in one of my crockpot cookbooks and thought it sounded good. It's still kind of warm in AZ for chowder, but I'm ready for cooler weather and the associated food. Plus my friend Jen made baked potato soup last week that sounded really good. I can't wait until it's cold enough for beef stew, but I just can't justify having that when it's still in the 80s outside for the high.

Chicken Chowder
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1/2 lb chicken breast tenderloins, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup nonfat half and half
1/2 cup nonfat chicken broth
2 15-oz cans cream-style corn
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp chopped green onions
1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
1/2 cup nonfat shredded cheddar cheese

Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine carrots, potato, and chicken in slow cooker. Combine half and half, chicken broth, cream-style corn, pepper, onion powder, and green onions in medium bowl and mix well. Pour half and half mixture over chicken and vegetables and mix well. Cover and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours. Add potato flakes. Increase heat to high and cook 5-10 minutes until mixture has thickened and flakes have siddolved. Sprinkle with cheese just before serving.

*****

Okay, I skipped the carrots because I was feeling lazy. I also did two potatoes because it didn't seem like one would be enough. Not sure the weight of the chicken tenderloins, I used three. It didn't seem like a lot of chicken to me (especially for a recipe called Chicken Chowder). I think everything else was the same. Oh, and I don't usually have instant potatoes on hand, but I found a small package at the store for $0.69, so I thought that was pretty good.

No comments: