Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Meatball Sandwiches

I can't stop singing Adam Sandler's "Lunchlady Land" whenever I think of what we're having tonight...

Hoagies and grinders, hoagies and grinders
Navy beans, navy beans, navy beans
MEATBALL SANDWICH

Or at least I think it's meatball sandwich. I guess now that I think about it, it could be meatloaf. Oh well...when I sing it, it's meatball.

I wanted something fast since it's Halloween and we're heading to a Trunk-or-Treat thing at our old church, so we need something quick and easy. I bought soy meatballs at Trader Joe's last week (thanks again, Jo!), so we're using those. I'm going to be a bit adventurous with them and use pita bread instead of hoagie rolls (back to Lunchlady Land...) because I also bought pita bread at TJ's, and I think it might be interesting. Since I'm making this all up as I go tonight (with the hope there's a back-up dinner option at the Halloween thing), I don't have a real recipe to post (oh, and did I mention I've never actually made any sort of meatball sandwich before?), but I'll try and write one up. I'll do it for four servings.

Meatball Sandwiches
24 meatballs
spaghetti sauce
4 pita breads
mozzarella cheese

Heat meatballs according to package directions. Mix with spaghetti sauce. Stuff in pita, six meatballs per pita. Add cheese (amount to your liking).

*****

How's that for super casual? I picked six meatballs because that's what the serving size on the package was. It's rare that I completely wing a meal like I'm doing tonight, so I hope it turns out okay. I'll probably heat up the pitas a bit so they're a little easier to work with. So cross your fingers for me, and I'll report back on how they turned out!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I really like the TJ's meatballs - and we've done similar sandwhiches to what you described. Cheap and easy!