Friday, October 26, 2007

Crockpot Roast Chicken

Forgot to post yesterday, but it was my wedding anniversary so cut me some slack. ;) I wanted to do something in the crockpot so I didn't really have to cook dinner. I figured I'd do a whole chicken, but I wanted something other than my usual. I found this recipe in my "Fix It and Forget It" cookbook. It was pretty easy, I didn't notice much taste difference. Chicken is chicken, I guess!

Frances' Roast Chicken
3-4 lb whole frying chicken
half an onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp dried basil

Sprinkle chicken cavity with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Put onion and celery inside cavity. Put chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle with basil. Cover, cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.

*****

I actually rubbed some of the poultry seasoning and basil under the skin of the chicken to flavor the meat a little. I think that was all I did differently. I'll go ahead and review it here since we already had it. It was good, not much easier or harder than my usual corckpot chicken, but I did find that it was harder to cut up the chicken with all the celery and onion in the cavity.

No comments: