Sunday, October 7, 2007

Spaghetti Meat Sauce

It's been a nice weekend without cooking, but I'm so excited for tonight's spaghetti!! I have two great spaghetti sauce recipes, this one comes from my middle/high school's best riend's mom. The other is my mother-in-law's. This one makes a ton which is good because we're having lasagna later in the week, so I get to use the sauce twice! Although technically it's a meat sauce, I'm using Boca grounds instead of ground beef. It's simmering on the stove right now and it smells so yummy!!

All Purpose Meat Suace for Pasta
1. Saute the following in a small amount of olive oil: 1 finely chopped medium onion, 2 minced cloves of garlic (option: small amount of diced green pepper)
2. Add 1-1/3 lb. crumbled lean ground beef and brown; salt & pepper to taste; drain off excess fat.
3. Add:
  • 1 28-ounce can crushed, peeled tomatoes
  • 1 12-ounce can tomato paste
  • 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1 11.5-ounce can V8
  • 1 10-ounce can tomato soup + 1 can hot water
  • 1 Tbsp crushed parsley flakes
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • Optional: pinch of crushed red pepper & several dashes of Tabasco)
    4. Mix thoroughly and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about an hour.

    Serves 10-12 generously over pasta.

    *****

    I also added a splash of red wine to mine...I like a little vino in my sauce. Hahaha...sauce in the sauce. Anyway, I'm really excited for this. I hope the Boca grounds do okay simmering for so long since we probably won't eat until 6:00 or so!

    No dinner tomorrow night, John has some golf tournament he's going to for work, so I'm not making dinner. Tuesday night is going to be lasagna with the leftover sauce. My son would say "um um" which translated is "yum yum!" :)
  • No comments: