Friday, October 12, 2007

Grilled Pizzas

It seems like it's been a long time since we've done the grilled pizza thing. I was getting pretty burned out on them, so it's been a nice break. Monday is my grandma's 90th birthday, so my brother is coming in to town for it and gets in late tonight. I asked if he would want a pizza when he gets in, and he requested a margherita, but other than that one we're doing all different toppings. One is a recipe I foung on the Cooking Light website, one is based on a suggestion from my friend Joanne a couple months ago, and one is going to be just random veggies. Here's the one from Cooking Light (I'll post the whole recipe, but we're grilling ours, not baking it):

Shiitake Mushroom and Gorgonzola Pizza
Pizza Dough
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced button mushrooms
1 1/3 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
1 cup vertically sliced red onion
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup (3 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese

Preheat oven to 450°.
Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place the dough on a 12-inch pizza pan or a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp the edges of the dough with your fingers to form a rim.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; sauté for 5 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion is very tender. Stir in the salt and pepper.

Spread the sour cream over pizza crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with mushroom mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut into 8 wedges.

*****

Awhile back I asked for topping suggestions and Joanne said "artichoke hearts, onions, roasted garlic & feta cheese on an olive oil base." I'm changing up her suggestion a bit and doing artichoke hearts, carmalized onions (which I've never done before so I need to look up how to do), red peppers, and feta. I hope it's not too many flavor combinations together. I think it sounds awesome.

*****

So there you have it. I'm really excited for the two new fancy ones. I hope they're good. The husband LOVES pizza, but I could take it or leave it unless I'm really in the mood for it. I get bored with the same old toppings, so I'm actually excited for pizza tonight to try some diffeent stuff!

I'm off to clean house in anticipation of my bro's visit, plus Friday is always house cleaning day so it's clean for the start of the weekend. By Sunday night (especially with someone else staying here), it's somehow always a disaster.

Oh yeah, I'm not cooking the rest of the weekend because we'll be going to my mom's for dinner. I am making a macaroni salad to take for my grandma's birthday party, so I'll post the recipe for that either tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping to at least get started on it today...lots of vegetable chopping involved. NOW it's time to bust my butt and get this place looking respectable!

No comments: