Sunday, August 12, 2007

Portobello Mushroom Fajitas

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! I'm the only healthy one in our house today, so I'm having a nice, relaxing day. :) We skipped church this morning, and I'm still in my jammies. I love days like this!

Tonight's dinner is portobello mushroom fajitas. John surprised me with a Cooking Light cookbook (love Cooking Light!! So this recipe is from that book. I can't wait to try a lot of the stuff that's in here.

Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices portobello mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
1 cup vertically sliced red onion
1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) green bell pepper strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 serrano chile, minced
12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled queso fresco
3/4 cup salsa verde

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until almost tender. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 4 minutes or until bell pepper is crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro, lime juice, salt, black pepper, and chile.

Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/4 cup mushroom mixture down center of each tortilla; top each tortilla with 4 teaspoons cheese and 1 tablespoon salsa. Roll up.

*****
I got red peppers instead of green and yellow onion instead of red, but I don't think it will make much difference. I also didn't buy queso fresco because I didn't know when else I'd use it. The recipe said that feta was a good substitute, so I might try that or we just have regular Mexican blend shredded cheese to use.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Mmm, looking forward to your review!