Monday, August 13, 2007

Italian Sausage and Peppers

I'm trying to use up things I have on hand this week, and when planning out my weekly menu I remembered the turkey sausages I had bought last week to use for the stuffed portobellos that never ended up happening. I remembered this recipe my mom makes a lot and thought it would be perfect. I didn't used to like sausage, but it's been growing on me the past few years. My mom has also done this in her crockpot as a party food. When she does that, she cuts the sausages up into a few pieces each to make it easier to serve.

Italian Sausage and Peppers
1 lb hot or mild Italian sausage
4 large green peppers, thinly sliced
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 cup spaghetti sauce

Parboil sausages for 30 minutes. Fry the sausage in skillet, browing on all sides. Remove from pan. Add the green peppers and onions to fat from sausage. Cook, turning several times, until tender. Return sausage to skillet. Add spaghetti sauce. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring frequently.

*****

Okay, first I have to say I'm glad I'm posting this because I didn't remember the "simmer 30 minutes part." Good to know now instead of when I start working on it and we'd end up eating 30 minutes late!

Now, I thought four peppers and three onions seemed a bit much, especially since my husband doesn't really like peppers and I'm not a big onion fan (little known secret...it's mostly because I hate chopping them). So I have 1.5 red peppers and one onion to use, and I think that should be plenty. Also since I'm using turkey sausage, I am not counting on having much fat in the skillet after they brown. The husband doesn't actually like turkey, so I'm hoping these sausages will be okay. Or that he won't notice. ;)

No comments: