Sunday, July 6, 2008

Peanut Butter Frosting

I know I'm a few days behind in posting and need to go back and fill y'all in on what I've made, but really all I can think about right now is this amazing frosting I just made. The husband and I were sitting around watching a movie this afternoon while the boy napped, and I got a hankering for some brownies. With ice cream and hot fudge sauce. I didn't have a brownie mix in the pantry and didn't feel like whipping them up from scratch (since we were watching a movie and all), but I did have a triple chocolate fudge cake mix (or something ridiculous like that). So I mixed it up...because I'm pregnant and I can make a triple chocolate fudge cake whenever I want!

I thought peanut butter frosting sounded awfully good with it, so I looked in my Cake Mix Doctor cookbook for a frosting recipe. Excellent...I had everything for it! I had never made peanut butter frosting before, but I figured it was worth a try. And if it sucked, I'd just eat plain chocolate cake.

Peanut Butter Frosting
1 cup creamy peanut butter
8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
3-4 Tbsp milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Place peanut butter and butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds. Stop the machine. Add the sugar, 3 Tbsp milk, and vanilla. Blend with mixer on low until the sugar is well combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the frosting lightens and is fluffy. Blend in up to 1 Tbsp milk if the frosting seems too stiff. Use at once to frost cake of choice.

*****

Lordy mama, this stuff is heaven on a spatula! I was tempted to skip frosting the cake and eat the whole bowl, but I think that might be a bit too much. Supposedly the recipe was enough to frost a 9x13 cake, but I had quite a bit extra...and I'm a generous froster! So the boy and I have been having bites of it because it's just that darn good.

Now I'm trying to decide if it's overkill to chop up some Reese' Peanut Butter Cups (because I'm pregnant and have them sitting in my pantry) to sprinkle on top of the cake...

No comments: