Monday, July 28, 2008

Deceptively Delicious Mac and Cheese

This is really the only recipe from last week I need to post. Nice!! One night we had the remainder of a lasagna I'd frozen, one night was leftover night while I went out with some friends, and Friday night we just had portobello mushroom burgers. Saturday we were on a date night, last night the husband grilled brats. This week, though, is full of exciting dinners!

Normally when I make mac and cheese I use my mother-in-law's recipe because, frankly, it's awesome. My friend Jen B. said they had really liked the Deceptively Delicious mac and cheese recipe, so I figured we'd try it.

Macaroni and Cheese 1 (as opposed to Macaroni and Cheese 2)
1-1/2 cups elbow macaroni
Nonstick cooking spray
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup butternut squash or cauliflower puree
1-1/2 cups shredded reduced fat Cheddar cheese
4 ounces reduced-fat or nonfat cream cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the macaroni and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain.

While the macaroni is cooking, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the oil, then the flour, and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture resembles a think paste but has not browned, 1-2 minutes.

Add the milk and cook, stirring every now and then, until the mixture begins to thicken, 3-4 minutes. Add the vegetable puree, cheddar, cream cheese, and seasonings. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Stir in the macaroni and serve warm.

*****

The husband and boy both liked it, but I swear all I could taste was the roux. I'm not good at making a roux. I know my limitations and that's one of them. I don't know if I got it too dark or what. I maybe should have added more cheese to it. Oh, and I doubled the recipe because it didn't sound like it was going to make enough to feed us. It's possible I messed up doubling and forgot to double something...who knows.

All in all, it was okay. I like my MIL's recipe better and will stick to making that one in the future and just adding in vegetable puree to it.

No comments: