Monday, July 21, 2008

Pam's Enchiladas

I thought about calling these "White Girl Enchiladas #2" but then figured I'd give credit where credit was due. Remember how I said a few weeks ago I love recipes handed down to me? Or something along those lines, it was when I made a pasta salad. This is another recipe like that...only enchiladas, not pasta salad. It's from a family friend, Pam. I've known her my whole life, her daughter Shelby was one of my best friends growing up. She gave me this recipe at my bridal shower, along with her homemade pizza recipe which is freakin' awesome. I haven't made that in awhile, maybe that will be added in to rotation soon.

Anyway, these are definitely white folk enchiladas, but I figure that's okay since I am white folk. I haven't made them in years. Our church has a new outreach minister that just started, and we're having him over for dinner tonight. I couldn't come up with what to make and then finally thought of this after thinking of my other white girl enchilada recipe. My friend Jen made some awesome pinto beans when we were at her house for dinner on Saturday, so I'm going to try and recreate them, although I imagine mine will be a little different since I don't have some of the spices she used.

Pam's Enchiladas
2 lbs hamburger
1 chopped onion
1 can chopped olives
1 small can green chilies
1 pint sour cream
1 lb grated cheddar cheese
2 cans cream of chicken soup
12 flour tortillas

Brown hamburger and onion. Drain fat. Add other ingredients, reserving some cheese. Pour hot mixture into tortillas, roll, and arrange in 9x13 pan. Pour remaining mixture over top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350.

*****

See? No Mexican would make enchiladas this way, or at least I don't think they would. Oh but they're sooo yummy. I usually take a few bites of the sauce because I heart it so much. I'm getting it together this afternoon so I don't have to be in the kitchen the whole time our guest is here.

Oh, and I'm cooking it in my new Le Creuset buffet casserole pan!! I heart it so much! I used it last night to make the pork chops and swamp, too. I'd post a picture, but both our cameras are upstairs. It looks like this:



But it's in this color:

No comments: