Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Blueberry Cake

The boy and I were at Walmart yesterday, and they actually had blueberries for a decent price. Normally berries (other than strawberries) are hard to find here in AZ for a reasonable price. I guess I was just spoiled in Seattle because so many of the yummy summer fruits grow there. Sigh. I bought the berries with the intention of baking something but didn't know what I wanted to do.

I thought about Blueberry Muffins from the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook, but I was missing some of the ingredients. I thought about a Blueberry Crumb Cake from one of the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks (you know how much I heart Ina!!), but it had a lot of ingredients. And a lot of butter...which I didn't mind but figured the husband probably would. I got out an Amish cookbook my friend Jen B. gave me, and there was a recipe in there for a blueberry cake that didn't have a lot of ingredients and sounded super easy.

So I went with that one. I got started on it and realized...I was out of flour. Ugh. It actually kind of worked out that the boy wasn't taking a good nap because we were able to run to the store so I could get some and finish the darn cake.

Blueberry Cake
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups blueberries, well drained

Cream together sugar, oil, and egg until lemon-colored. Stir in milk, thoroughly. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, then stir into creamed mixture. Gently fold in the blueberries. Spread batter into a greased and floured 9"x9" square baking pan. Sprinkle with topping Bake 45-50 minutes at 375.

Topping:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Melt butter. Stir in sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Crumble over cake batter.

*****

The cake is really yummy. It's not super sweet which I like. I'm thinking of mixing up some homemade whipping cream to top it. Oh, and I just used non-stick spray on the baking pan instead of greasing and flouring. I figured the Amish probably can't use non-stick spray, but I sure can!! And I hate greasing and flouring unless I absolutely have to.

I'm also thinking I need to flip through this cookbook and see what all is in it.

No comments: