Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thai Peanut Pasta

I heart Thai food. I used to get to eat it all the time because one of my work friends also loved it, and there was a really good place near our work with great lunch specials. Then she moved away. :( The husband is skeptical of it, so he won't ever eat it. So sad because it's so, so yummy.

My friend Jen B. posted this recipe on her blog a few nights ago, and I thought it sounded fantastic. She said it was super yummy, so I figured it was worth trying. Decio Pasta is a handmade pasta that's made here in AZ and REALLY GOOD. We each bought some at the Phoenix Farmer's Market awhile back, then she found it at a fancy schmancy grocery store as well. It's made with all sorts of yummy vegetables and spices and has a ton of flavor just on its own. Jen had the flavor called for in the recipe, I didn't, so I just used regular spaghetti.

Decio Pasta Thai Peanut Pasta
1 pkg Orange Szechuan pasta
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into pieces
1 red or yellow bell pepper chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup chicken stock
2/3 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp minced fresh gingerroot
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
juice of 2 limes
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped

Cook pasta to al dente, drain and set aside. Coat skillet or wok with non-stick cooking spray. cook chicken until lightly browned. Add the bell pepper, cook 2 minutes. Set aside. in small bowl dissolve cornstarch in cold coconut milk. Pour into skillet. Cook stirring for 2 minutes, until thickened. Reduce heat. In small bowl combine peanut butter, garlic, honey, lime juice, orange juice, ground red pepper, soy sauce and honey. Add to skillet stirring until smooth. Add chives, cilantro, and reserved chicken and peppers. Toss with pasta to coat. Garnish with toasted peanuts. Can also toss 1/2 cup of toasted peanut gems in with pasta.

*****

Like I said, I used whole wheat spaghetti instead of the flavored pasta. I liked it, the husband likes the "regular stir fry" I make better. He said it was too peanuty. Sheesh. See what I'm up against when it comes to ethnic food?! Like Jen did, I used a bag of frozen stir fry veggies instead of just a red pepper. I was missing cilantro, chives, and peanuts, so those may have affected the flavor a bit. Oh, and I didn't have limes so I used some Simply Limead instead. (I'm pretty sure that stuff is laced with crack, by the way. I can't stop drinking it. Or maybe it's just the closest non-alcoholic taste to a margarita I can get while I'm pregnant.)

As I was making it I noticed it didn't actually say where to add in the chicken broth. I mixed it in with the sauce. I'm wondering if it should have been added in with the coconut milk because it thickened REALLY fast when I put it in the pan.

All in all, I really liked this and would definitely eat it again. The husband wasn't as impressed but said it was good. I may try it again but serve it over rice instead of mixing it with pasta. I think the sauce would be super yummy on rice! Oh, and the boy liked it. He ate quite a bit actually, so that always makes me a happy mommy!

No comments: