Monday, June 30, 2008

Cheeseburger Hoagies

We went to my mom's house yesterday for swimming and dinner and to retrieve our dog who had been staying there while we were on vacation. Now tonight it's back to me cooking. I think I mentioned on Saturday how we wanted some vegetarian meals this week after our vacation binge, so when I was reviewing the blog for ideas I saw this and thought we hadn't had it in quite awhile.

Cheeseburger Hoagie Sandwiches
1 package (11 ounces) refrigerated French bread dough
4 slices reduced-fat American cheese, divided
12 ounces 95% lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tsp yellow mustard
1 cup thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
1 plum tomato, sliced

Preheat oven to 350. Place bread dough on cutting board, stretch slightly. Cut dough into four equal portions. Cut three diagonal slits on top of each portion of dough; place seam side down and 3 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove loaves from baking sheet to a cooling rack.

Cut two slices of the cheese into small pieces. In a 10-inch skillet, cook and stir beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles. Drain. Stir in ketchup, mustard, and cut-up cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Remove skillet from heat.

Slice each loaf lengthwise, end to end, cutting halfway through to center of loaf; spread open. Fill evenly with beef mixture; place on baking stone. Bake 6-8 minutes or until bread is toasted and meat mixture is heated through; remove from oven.

Cut remaining cheese slices diagonally in half; top each sandwich with one cheese traingle. Top sandwiches with lettuce and tomato slices.

*****

The first time I made it, I used hoagie rolls and the second time I used the French loaf. I didn't like it with the French loaf cut into four pieces because they were too small. I forgot to get hoagie rolls when I was in the bakery section, so I got a French loaf again this time (which worked out because it was on manager's special for $0.99!), but I cut it into three pieces instead of four. Oh, and I use shredded cheese instead of the slices.

We're going to have leftover pasta salad with it and maybe some watermelon.

No comments: