Friday, June 13, 2008

Ham and Pasta Casserole

My friend Andrea had a baby last week, and our MOMS Club is taking her family dinner. Tonight is my night. I wanted to make something with ham and came across this recipe in my search. When hams were cheap at Easter I bought a nine pound one because they were so cheap. Smart, right? You should see the amount of ham I have left. Since I'm trying to use up what's in our freezer, ham seemed a logical choice. I'm making two of them so we're going to have it as well. I hope it's good. I hate making new things when taking dinner to someone in case it's horrible. If it doesn't turn out, I'll stop and get them pizza instead.

Ham and Pasta Casserole
6 ounces spaghetti, cut into small lengths
2 cups diced cooked ham
3 tablespoons butter
4 to 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
4 to 6 green onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic seasoned pepper or other pepper blend
dash cayenne or other hot pepper, as desired
salt or more seasoned salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water, following package directions. Drain and rinse in hot water; combine with ham in a large bowl.

Heat butter over medium low heat; add sliced mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender; add green onions. Stir in flour until blended in thoroughly. Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk. Add seasoned salt, pepper, and hot pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Taste and add more salt and pepper, as needed. Stir into the spaghetti and ham mixture; stir in cheese. Bake at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted.

*****

I think I might throw some peas in, too, to give it a little more color. I'm not sure how the sauce is going to taste...I'm guessing I'll end up tweaking it a little, but I'll have to taste it and see what I think. Sounds pretty easy, and most of the stuff for it I had on hand already. Reading it over, I bet it would be good substituting half the chicken broth for white wine and gruyere for the cheddar. But, Andrea's nursing and I'm knocked up, so I'll probably leave the wine out just to be safe. I'd cook it enough to get the alcohol out of it, but better to not chance it I figure. If we like it, I may try that variation on it at some point!

No comments: