Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Spaghetti Salad

We're having a low key dinner week. For one thing, it's too freakin' hot here in Phoenix to want to cook. Well, not if you're 18 weeks pregnant but really then all that you'd want is that half gallon of Blue Bell ice cream you bought at the grocery store today and a spoon while sitting on the couch with your feet up and the ceiling fan blowing above you. For another, we're heading out of town later this week, so I didn't want to buy a ton of groceries.

Last night we had brats and Pasta Roni. Not very exciting. Tonight we're having some chicken burgers from Trader Joe's (Chile Lime Chicken Burgers, I think they are), and I'm making a pasta salad that's going to be our side dish for the rest of the week. This recipe is from a family friend that I've known for literally my whole life. At one of my bridal showers, guests were asked to bring a dish to share and write down the recipe for me, so this is what our friend Julie did for me. I loved the salad when I was little, so I was super excited to get it, but I also love that it's in her handwriting. Don't you love recipes like that? Plus I love pasta salad in the summer when it's too stinkin' hot to want to eat.

Spaghetti Salad
20 ounces thin spaghetti, broken in pieces and cooked
2 pints cherry tomatoes
1 red onion, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
Sprinkle lots of parmesan cheese
4 T. Salad Elegance
1 large bottle Italian dressing

Combine pasta and vegetables. Top with cheese, Salad Elegance, and dressing. Mix well.

*****

I forgot it was thin spaghetti, so I bought regular. I also got grape tomatoes (is there really a difference?), and I skipped the green peppers because one was $1.29 at my grocery store. WTF?! That's what I usually pay for one red pepper that isn't on sale. Sheesh. Darn gas prices driving up grocery prices.

I'm sure there will be more pasta salad recipes to come during this opressive heat of summer in Phoenix. Or if you have one you love, send it to me!

No comments: