Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Grilled Pork Chops

Okay, I'm back!!! The boy and I spent a long weekend in Seattle visiting my friends and family. We had a great time, and I ate like a queen. We stayed in a part of the city I wasn't really familiar with so it was fun to explore a new area. And within two miles of the house we were staying in, there was a cupcake bakery and a pie bakery. Seriously...a bakery JUST for cupcakes and one JUST for pie. Talk about a pregnant woman's dream! The cupcakes were amazing...my brother bought half a dozen for us to much on while we were there, and I got a strawberry rhubarb pie for my mom. We're suckers for rhubarb because it's hard to come by here in AZ, but my mom used to grow it in our backyard in Seattle. Oh yeah, and I had the BEST Chinese food I have ever had in my life. I just know I'm going to be eight months pregnant and wake up in the middle of the night craving their Seven Flavor Beef or Honey Walnut Prawns.

Anyway, in the days leading up to the trip I didn't do a whole lot of cooking, so I didn't bother posting. We had paninis a couple times, spaghetti...seriously, nothing exciting. We got home Monday night, and last night I had the year end banquet for my MOMS Club chapter. I got off easy since I'm on the board and just had to take drinks, but man alive did we feast! The boy and husband had pizza which they were both excited for. You'd think we never have it the way they get excited for pizza. Sheesh.

So it's back to the real world for me now for a bit. We leave again next Friday for a week at the beach in CA with my in-laws. My father-in-law is retiring (a week from yesterday!) and turning 65, so we're going to celebrate. It's going to be us, the in-laws, and my husband's sister, her husband, and their two boys. Should be fun.

Anyway, I'm still trying to use up things I have on hand because every food storage spot in my house seems to be overflowing. You'd think I was a squirrel saving nuts for winter. I have no idea how I accumulated so much food. I have a Pampered Chef cookbook that has good recipes for the summer--either grilling or not much cooking involved--so I flipped through that and found a good sounding pork chop recipe. I'm going to look up grilling potatoes, too, and try to throw on some red potatoes I got at the store yesterday as well.

Grilled Rosemary Pork Chops
4 boneless pork chops, cut 3/4 to 1 inch thick (about 6 ounces each)
4 tsp olive oil
2 tsp Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix

Prepare grill for direct cooking on medium. Use a pastry brush to brush both sides of pork chops with oil. Sprinkle evenly with seasoning mix. Place pork chops on grid of grill. Grill, covered, 12-16 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 for well done, turning once while cooking.

*****

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hate how Pampered Chef recipes call for their products. I guess it makes sense, but I don't have "Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix." So I'm going to use some rosemary and maybe some Pasta & Co House Herbs, which is similar to Italian Seasoning. Darn it...I meant to pick up more of that while I was in Seattle and spaced. Actually I just wasn't ever near one of their locations. My parents are still up there and don't come home until tomorrow. Wonder if I could convince my mom to swing by one before they leave. If she happens to call maybe I'll mention that I meant to get some.

I found this recipe for grilled potatoes that I think I might try. I just have to remember to get them on the grill before the pork chops. I'm not very good at timing all parts of a meal to be done at the same time. I think I have some peas in the freezer, so we'll probably have some of those, too. I'm kind of excited to be making real dinner again. Seems like it's been a really long time.

No comments: