Monday, July 6, 2009

Hummus

We're having falafel for dinner tonight, but I made a new hummus recipe to go with it. I really like my usual recipe for it, but this weekend I happened upon a different issue of Cook's Illustrated--Summer Entertaining--so of course I had to buy it. There was a recipe in it for "Best Hummus" and I figured it was worth trying since everything else I've made from any Cook's Illustrated has been fantastic.

Restaurant Style Hummus from Cook's Illustrated

1/4 cup water
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
6 Tablespoons well stirred tahini
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 15 ounce can drained and rinsed chickpeas
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
pinch of cayenne
about 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

Combine the water and lemon juice in one bowl, and the tahini and oil in another. Set aside about 12 of the whole chickpeas for a garnish.

Put the chickpeas, salt, garlic, cumin, and cayenne in a food processor and process for about 15 seconds. Scrap down the sides of the processor. Then add the lemon water mix through the feed tube with the processor running for about 1 minute. Scrap down the sides several times. Then add the oil and tahini, with the processor running, until the hummus is fluffy.

Put the hummus in a bowl, garnish with the cilantro and whole chickpeas, and drizzle with some olive oil if you want.

*****

This is good hummus, but I think I like my usual hummus recipe better. I think this one needs a little something more, but I'm not sure what. Plus mine is a lot lower in fat--six tablespoons of tahini packs a lot of flavor but also a lot of fat.

No comments: