Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Skillet Roasted Potatoes with Chili and Cumin

These are the potatoes I'm making to go with the Tex Mex Burgers we're having tonight, another Cook's Illustrated recipe. I'm so glad I sent in my subscription form for that magazine--I can't wait until I start getting it on a regular basis!! It occurred to me that we have a side burner on our grill, so I wonder if I could do the potatoes outside, too, so I don't have to heat up the house by using the stove. I'm not sure if I can use my normal cookware out there though? I don't know...I'll have to do some investigating.

Cook's Illustrated Skillet Roasted Potatoes with Chili and Cumin

1.5 pounds small or medium Red Bliss potatoes, scrubbed and unpeeled
2 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne

If using small potatoes, halve each potato. If using medium potatoes, quarter each potato to create 3/4 to 1 inch chunks. Rinse cut potatoes in cold water and drain well; spread on clean kitchen towel and thoroughly pat dry.

Stir together salt, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and cayenne in small bowl. Set aside.

Heat oil in heavy-bottomed 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add potatoes cut side down in single layer; cook, without stirring, until golden brown (oil should sizzle but not smoke), 5-7 minutes. Using tongs, turn potatoes skin side down if using halved small potatoes or second cut side down if using quartered medium potatoes; cook, without stirring, until deep golden brown, 5-6 minutes longer. Stir potatoes, then redistribute in a single layer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, 6-9 minutes.

When potatoes are tender, sprinkle with spice mixture and toss or stir gently to combine. Cook seasoned potatoes over medium-low heat until spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds.

*****

These were some tasty potatoes. The texture of them was perfect--just crispy enough on the outside and perfectly tender on the inside. I think I'd cut back on the cayenne next time and maybe bump up the cumin a bit. The husband thought these smelled like BO, but they sure tasted yummy!

(There's a picture of them on the Tex-Mex Burger post below)

No comments: