Monday, July 27, 2009

Bacon & Feta Stuffed Chicken

I couldn't believe I hadn't updated my blog since last Wednesday, then I remembered just how crazy the past few days have been, and it all made sense. Friday night the husband and I did our usual mini date night and had this for dinner after the kids went to bed. I apparently cut this out of a magazine at some point, but I have no idea when or what one it was from.

Bacon & Feta Stuffed Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cans diced tomatoes (14-1/2 ounces each)
1 Tbsp dried basil

Carefully cut a pocket in each chicken breast. Fill with bacon and cheese; secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet brown chicken in oil.

Drain one can of tomatoes, discarding juice; add to the skillet with the undrained can of tomatoes. Sprinkle with basil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover; simmer 5 minutes longer until chicken is no longer pink and the tomato mixture has thickened.

*****

This was REALLY tasty! The bacon and feta was a great combination. Instead of using oil I used some of the bacon grease that was left in the pan after frying up the bacon. I poured most of it out and left a tablespoon or so, since that's the amount of oil that was called for. I also used organic chicken for the first time. I found some on clearance at the store a couple weeks ago and snatched it up. I thought it tasted different than conventional chicken, but the husband couldn't tell the difference. It's not something I'd spend the extra money on regularly, but if I can ever get it for cheap like that again, I will for sure. I'm not sure if the boy would like this, but the husband and I both really enjoyed it.

No comments: