Friday, July 31, 2009

Best Buttermilk Pancakes

The husband and I were talking last night about what we should have for our mini date night dinner tonight. Since I lost my meal plan for the week, I couldn't remember what I had slated for it. Seriously, after having two kids, if something isn't written down I have very little chance of remembering it. He said how about brinner (breakfast for dinner)...bacon, eggs, and pancakes. I said it sounded good to me, and there was a recipe in the Cook's Illustrated magazine I just got for buttermilk pancakes that I wanted to try.

Although I honestly feel like I need a nap before embarking on dinner tonight. We left our house this morning at 8:30 and didn't get home until almost 6:00. I had no intention of being gone that long. My cousin is getting married next weekend, and I needed to find a dress for the wedding. We had plans to go shopping with my mom and aunt, then I heard that Target is doing their twice a year huge toy clearance, so instead of leaving at 9:00 like I had originally planned I wanted to leave at 8:30 to swing by Target on the way to my mom's. I cleaned up--I got probably $200 worth of toys for $50. I'm just about set for Christmas for the boy and have some things I can keep on hand for random birthday presents for his friends. My mom, aunt, the boys, and I got to the mall around 10:45 I think it was and didn't emerge until almost 3:00. It's been a long time since I spent that much time in the mall. I got some great deals though. I found a cute dress for my cousin's wedding, and I also got three pairs of Lucky Brand pants (two were $18 each!!), a Lucky Brand shirt, and a Calvin Klein shirt--all five of those things for $120! I was quite pleased with myself. We also got shoes and socks for the boy for the wedding because he's going to be the ring bearer. We got back to my mom's, I fed the baby, the boy and I went swimming, and we headed home...and stopped at another Target. I know. You're exhausted just reading this aren't you? I definitely did my part to help the economy today. And I can't wait to wear my new clothes! ;)

Anyway, pancakes. I'm excited to try this. So far everything from Cook's Illustrated I've made has been fantastic. I really love that magazine...how they explain how they came to the final recipe, what they tried that didn't work, etc. I'm so glad I got a subscription.

Best Buttermilk Pancakes

2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp table salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1-2 tsp vegetable oil

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Spray wire rack set inside baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; place in oven. Whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a medium bowl. In second medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, and melted butter. Make well in center of dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients; gently stir until just combined (batter should remain lumpy with few streaks of flour). Do not overmix. Allow batter to sit 10 minutes before cooking.

Heat 1 tsp oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Using paper towels, carefully wipe out oil, leaving thin film of oil on bottom and sides of pan. Using 1/4 cup measure, portion batter into pan in 4 places. Cook until edges are set, first side is golden brown, and bubbles on surface are just beginning to break, 2-3 minutes. Using thin, wide spatula, flip pancakes and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 1-2 minutes longer. Serve pancakes immediately, or transfer to wire rack in preheated oven. Repeat with remaining batter, using remaining oil as necessary.

*****

I'm pretty happy with my usual pancake recipe, but since these are supposedly "the best" I figured they were worth a try. Of course, my usual ones I always have those ingredients on hand, and buttermilk isn't something I normally have in my fridge.

*****

These were pretty good pancakes. I have a tendency to smoosh down pancakes after I flip them, and I think I need to stop so they'll be lighter and fluffier. There was only one left from the whole batch--the husband kept going back for more!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I use the recipe from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, which is almost the same as this one (omits the sour cream and only uses 1 egg). The pancakes are fabulous! Yes, they're more work than a mix but so, so worth it!

I'm sure you know this, but if you don't have buttermilk around you can sour regular milk with lemon juice or vinegar. Or you can stock powdered buttermilk in the fridge (stays fresh much longer than the liquid version).

Thanks for a great blog with lots of yummy dinner ideas!