Sunday, July 5, 2009

Honey Ginger Grilled Mahi Mahi

I hope everyone has had a nice holiday weekend! You may have noticed I haven't had to cook since Thursday--it's been a nice break! Friday night some friends invited us over for dinner which ended up being great because I was REALLY off my game in the kitchen. I offered to take dessert; my friend said I didn't need to but if I wanted to I could. I had just bought a huge box of strawberries at Costco, so I figured I'd do something with strawberries. I found a few good sounding cake recipes but didn't have the right ingredients for frosting. Then I thought chocolate covered strawberries. For the life of me I could not get the chocolate to melt right. I have never had as many problems melting chocolate as I did on Friday. So I gave up on that after wasting an entire bag of chocolate chips. Then I found a recipe for cream stuffed strawberries that sounded fantastic, but the filling was disgusting. The husband actually spit out his sample. It tasted like ass--or at least what I would imagine ass to taste like. It tasted bad, we'll leave it at that. So I threw out those. I checked the blog for dessert ideas and saw a recipe for a strawberry pie I had made quite a long time ago. I remembered seeing a pie crust in the freezer, so I got it out...only to find that it was completely broken and not at all salvageable. Sigh. So I decided to scrap the idea of making a dessert. Then last night we went to my mom's for dinner. It was great; she kept the kids during the day and the husband and I went on a day date to a movie and lunch.

Now it's back to normal. I had originally planned on grilling a whole chicken tonight, but I forgot to get it out of the freezer in time, so I needed a new idea. I had some mahi mahi in the freezer, so I got that out and then checked RecipeZaar.com for a recipe. I wanted to cook them on the grill, so once I added that criteria I had 11 recipes to choose from. This one sounded good and easy--a combination I love!


Honey Ginger Grilled Salmon, Swordfish or Mahi Mahi
Recipe #320129

1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 inch fresh ginger, chopped or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 green onions, chopped
1 1/2 lbs salmon fillets or mahi mahi or swordfish

Add all ingredients except fish in a large resealable plastic bag and mix well. Add fish and refrigerate to marinate for 15 minutes. Remove salmon from marinade and discard marinade. Grill on a greased grill rack over medium-high heat 5-6 per side for slightly rare salmon or cook until fish flakes easily with a fork.

*****

Some of the reviews suggested marinating the fish for longer than the time specified, so I'll probably let it go just a little longer. I might also use tamari instead of soy sauce. I'm not sure yet what we're going to have with this. I think I saw one last package of Rice A Roni in my pantry I might use up and then steam a vegetable of some sort as well.

*****

This was a really good marinade! I only let it marinate about 30 minutes, and I was glad I did because I think any more would have taken away the fish taste of the mahi mahi. I would use this again on fish or even chicken. We all really liked it! But, I completely forgot to take a picture because I was so excited to eat. Oops!

No comments: