Friday, February 27, 2009

Hummus

I'm not sure what's on the menu for dinner tonight. I'm feeling better, but the husband is meeting a friend for happy hour, so it's just the boy and me. The boy wants pizza, but I'm still tired of pizza after our pizza-fest last weekend (Friday night for the boy's birthday, Saturday at his party, and Saturday night for dinner since there were leftovers). I need to be figuring it out since it's 4:30. Sigh.

Anyway, Jen B. reminded me this week of one of my favorite sandwiches that I had forgotten about, HLT--hummus, lettuce, tomato. They're so tasty, really healthy, and super easy to make. I hadn't made hummus in a long time, so I made some this afternoon. I used Jen's recipe for it since the last time I made my usual hummus recipe I was really disappointed with the results.

Jen's Hummus: Plain

Ingredients:
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (aka garbanzo
beans)
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt or light sour cream
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1-2 garlic cloves (depending on how sharp and garlicy you like it)
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 cup of feta cheese
2 Tablespoons of tahini

Directions:
In food processor blender, puree all the ingredients with 1-2 tablespoon water. Add more olive oil and salt, if needed.

*****

Wow. This is awesome hummus. I called Jen after I had first tasted it to tell her how much I liked it. I can't stop eating it. i need to put it in the fridge so I don't eat the whole batch of it in one sitting. Yum!

No comments: