Friday, February 13, 2009

Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

So, my friend Jen B. recently made her own hamburger buns and raved about them. I figured they were worth trying since 1) she loved them so much, 2) it's nearly impossible to find hamburger buns in the store that don't have high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of other junk in them, and 3) I had all the ingredients on hand for them. She found the recipe on RecipeZaar.com, which is my new favorite recipe website.

Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
(Recipe #318534 by Sharon123)
2 cups warm water
1/4 cup corn oil or canola oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
1/4 cup flax seed, ground
1/2 cup honey
6 cups whole wheat flour (you can replace 2 of the cups with white flour if you like)
2 tablespoons active dry yeast

In a large mixing bowl place all ingredients except flour and yeast.
Mix, adding 4 cups whole wheat flour(or 2 cups white flour, 2 cups whole wheat, if desired)and 2 tbls. yeast.

Whip with a wooden spoon 5 minutes. Slowly, add the rest of the flour. Turn out on a floured board and knead till smooth.

Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place dough in it. Put in a warm place to rise, covered with a towel, about 1 hour.

When the dough has doubled in size, divide into 12 pieces. Roll into smooth balls. Flatten with the palm of your hand and place on a baking sheet.

Let rise till doubled, about 45 minutes to an hour. Bake at 350*F. 20-25 minutes.
Remove from oven. Cool on wire rack.

© 2009 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved.

****

Wow, were these good. I don't think I'll ever buy hamburger buns again. Okay, that's not true because if we ever had a BBQ I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of it, and the husband a lot of times takes a Boca burger in his lunch, so I'd have to make these pretty often to accomodate that. But, when we need hamburger buns for dinner, I'll definitely make these. Even the dough looked good--so grainy (good grainy) and hearty. The husband said the buns were the best part of dinner. I think we only used three, so I'm excited to still have nine left in the freezer.

No comments: