Monday, April 6, 2009

Catfish Sandwiches

I'll come out with it. Potty training is kicking my ass. Actually today seems to be going better, but the past few days have been horrible. It's so frustrating because the boy will sit on the potty and go a little but then 10 minutes later he has an accident and pees all over the place. Sigh. But, so far today there's only been one accident and it was early this morning. I'm resorting to major bribery, so hopefully that gets the job done.

Anyway, I never had a chance to post yesterday what with all the trips to the potty. I was pretty excited for our dinner, and it turned out well. Mostly well anyway. We had catfish sandwiches with homemade tartar sauce, hushpuppies, and coleslaw. I had originally planned on making catfish po'boys, but after looking through a Tom Douglas cookbook, I saw a recipe for homemade tartar sauce and decided to just do fish sandwiches so I could make the tartar sauce. I love Tom Douglas...if you're ever in Seattle you MUST go to one of his restaurants. I'm hoping to cross another one off the list the next time we're up there. There were a ton of good recipes in the cookbook I got, so I'm excited to make more from it, although I will admit that it made me really homesick for Seattle.

Catfish Sandwiches
1 lb. catfish nuggets
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup flour
1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
Oil for frying
French rolls

Combine milk and catfish in a bowl, tossing gently to coat. Remove fish from bowl; shake off excess milk. Combine cornmeal, flour, and Cajun seasoning in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add fish to bag. Seal and shake to coat. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish; cook 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Serve with tartar sauce, lettuce, and tomatoes on French rolls.

*****

I did the catfish the same way as if I was making the po'boys but just changed the sandwich toppings. These were super good. I think I like them better this way than the regular Catfish Po'Boys I make. Or I like the toppings I used better anyway. The tartar sauce recipe is coming next!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Potty training is H-E-L-L. Hang in there...it will click with him soon. These sandwiches sound really yummy!