Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Tofu Lo Mein

Okay, we're giving tofu another try. Thanks to my good friend Joanne, I think I know how to drain it properly now. When I tried the fried rice, I don't think I got enough water out of it, so it crumbled up instead of browning in little chunks like it was supposed to. So, fingers crossed that it works!

This is from allrecipes.com, but it's a new recipe for us. I'm hoping it's good because I don't really have a back up plan.

Tofu Lo Mein
1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 (3 ounce) packages Oriental flavored ramen noodles
1 (16 ounce) package frozen stir-fry vegetables
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon soy sauce, or to taste


Press tofu between paper towels to remove some of the water; cut in to bite size cubes. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and fry until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.

Meanwhile bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add noodles from ramen packages, reserving the seasoning envelopes. Boil for about 2 minutes, just until the noodles break apart. Drain.

Add the stir-fry vegetables to the pan with the tofu, and season with the ramen noodle seasoning packet. Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, but not mushy. Add noodles, and stir to blend. Season with soy sauce to taste and serve.

*****

I think this dinner is costing something like $3 to make, so even if it sucks, I'm not out that much money. Oh, and I didn't post last night because we just had tacos which weren't anything special. I've found Walmart has the Boca grounds for $2.96 a box, so I've been stocking up each time I go. I love tacos/burritos with that instead of ground beef. Out of curiousity when I was at the regular grocery store on Monday, I checked the price of the Boca grounds there, and on sale they were $3.99 for the box!

Tomorrow night we're going to a Family Night Out event with my MOMS Club, so I'm just heating up some frozen garlic chicken pasta mix I got at Costco awhile back. I'll be back on Thursday, then we're off to Mexico for the weekend. Ole! ;)

4 comments:

jenanderson said...

I tried tofu once when we were "trying" to be vegetarian. It was the worst thing I have ever eaten. I am curious to see what you think about it.

jen

Claire said...

This was so good. I think it's all in draining the tofu and how it's seasoned because it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. I have a good tofu enchilada recipe I'll have to make soon. You wouldn't even know it has tofu in it. Plus tofu is cheap!!!

Joanne said...

I love the boca grounds too - they're great for sloppy joes as well.

Claire said...

We love them for sloppy joes! We had those the week I had strep because it was easy to make.