Recently I checked out a cookbook from the library. I love doing that! The one I got was published by the website Allrecipes.com, which I also love. There was a ton of stuff in it I wanted to try, but of course didn't have time to make everything I wanted to before the book was due back. I thought about buying it and then went, "DUH!! This is based on recipes from a website." So I sat down at my trusty computer here, logged on to allrecipes.com and searched for each recipe in the book that I liked. I added it to my "Recipe Box" on their website, and now I can turn to them whenever. How's that for scamming the system?!
Anyway, tonight's recipe is one of those recipes. I've wanted to try it for awhile, and my grocery had tomatoes for super cheap this week, so I figured it was time. Plus I have the pie crust in my freezer from something else and we always have cheese in our house. Knightlys are cheese lovers, what can I say.
Fresh Tomato Pie
1 (9 inch) pie shell
7 ripe tomatoes, sliced
1 yellow onion
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
ground black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons fresh basil
2 teaspoons fresh oregano
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Bake the pastry shell for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned.
3. Slice onion and place in the bottom of pastry shell. Slice tomatoes and arrange over onions. Add black pepper to taste.
4. In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella, parmesan and mayonnaise. Spread this mixture evenly over tomatoes.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooked, garnish with fresh herbs.
So we'll see how it turns out. It sounds good and the picture of it on the website looks pretty good, so I have somewhat high hopes.