Saturday, September 22, 2007

Macaroni and Cheese

We haven't had this in quite awhile. I have some cookbooks displayed in my kitchen, and this recipe is on the front of one of them. I salivate over it all the time but don't make it that often. It's from a Southern Living cookbook, "Light & Easy Comfort Food."

Macaroni and Cheese
4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces uncooked), cooked without salt or fat
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
3/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup fat free milk
2 Tbsp grated onion
1-1/2 tsp reduced fat stick margarine, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
1/4 cup fresh or dry breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp reduced calorie stick margarine, melted
1/4 tsp paprika

Preheat oven to 350. Combine first 10 ingredients (through egg); stir well. Spon into a shallow 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.

Combine breadcrumbs, 1 Tbsp margarine, and paprika; stir well. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over casserole. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover casserole and bake an additional 5 minutes or until breadcrumbs are browned.

*****

We Knightlys are cheese lovers. I skip the breadcrumb mixture and put cheese on top instead. The bread crumbs on the picture on the cover of the cookbook look good, but I just can't pass up extra cheese. That's the only change I make, though. I'm excited to have this...we haven't had it in forever!!

2 comments:

jenanderson said...

How Funny! Not even 10 minutes ago Craig said..you should make that mac n cheese for dinner.
I use the bread crumbs and it is awesome.

Claire said...

Next time I'll have to try it with the bread crumbs. It looks so good on the cover, but it's so hard to resist more cheese!