Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pesto Ham Paninis

The husband just called saying he was on his way home, and my mom called shortly after that to say they're leaving her house to bring the boy home. Sigh. My precious alone time is coming to an end. I'd better type fast. :)

Since we had so much ham left over, I slated ham paninis for dinner last night. I didn't really know what else to do with them other than some kind of cheese--monterey jack or muenster because I had both in the fridge--on ciabatta rolls. I did some searching on RecipeZaar.com (because that's what I do when I'm at a loss for what to do with food) and saw a couple different paninis that sounded good. So I kind of combined them and made my own

I have no idea how much of things I used, so this will be a vague description recipe instead of everything listed out. I made two sandwiches and let the boy have grilled cheese. I cut the ciabatta rolls in half and spread about a teaspoon of pesto on each side. I sliced up a tomato and put the slices on one side of the bread. I topped with sliced ham and then topped that with monterey jack cheese. I ended up sprinkling on some shredded mozzarella I had in the fridge, too, because it didn't look quite cheesy enough. I topped the sandwich with the other half of the roll and stuck them in my panini press until they had lines on top and the cheese was melted. Very scientific and precise, isn't it? :)

These were FANTASTIC sandwiches. I could have eaten a few of them. I wouldn't have thought to use pesto on them on my own, so I was incredibly glad I found a recipe that had that listed. So tasty...my mouth is salivating just thinking about how good it was! We had the rest of the pasta salad with our sandwiches (which, by the way, is much better the first day).

No comments: