Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fettuccine Alfredo

Once again I had to scramble this afternoon to come up with something to make for dinner. I was going to make a Giada roast chicken recipe, but I forgot to get the chicken out early enough, and it was still pretty frozen when I checked it earlier today. Oops. So we'll have that tomorrow. I was going to make Fettuccine Alfredo for the boy and me while the husband was gone, but then he came home early. So I figured I'd just make that tonight instead of coming up with something totally new.

We haven't had this in quite awhile, so I'm excited for it. It's of course not as good as real alfredo, but few things are. I never eat real alfredo except when I'm pregnant and gaining weight anyway, but so far this time I haven't had it yet. It's killing me!! I only have 13 weeks left (gulp!!!!), so I'd better get some here soon. I think I'm going to steam some broccoli or peas to go with it, and I have some yummy bread in the freezer too.

Fettuccine Alfredo
1 pound uncooked fettuccine
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/4 cups half-and-half
3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half-and-half, cheese, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; add pasta, tossing gently to coat.

*****

This was originally from Cooking Light and a pretty good "skinny" alfredo. Last time I made it I snuck in some pureed cauliflower, so I might do the same this time if I still have some in the freezer, which I think I do.

No comments: