Friday, August 29, 2008

Chili and Honey Chicken Legs

I have six minutes until I need to start working on dinner, so I'd better type quickly. Last night we had "clean out the fridge" night which was so nice. We got rid of a ton of leftovers. Hooray! I hate leaving them in there forever and finding them weeks later, wondering what exactly it used to be. Gross.

So when I signed up to receive Gourmet magazine, there was an offer for a free Everyday Meals cookbook. Actually I think I thought you got the Gourmet cookbook for free, so I was kind of miffed when a recipe pamphlet arrived in the mail a few weeks later. Oh well. I just looked through it for the first time a couple days ago, and there's some yummy sounding stuff in there. I'm actually using it tonight and Monday night (we're having a staycation over the weekend--no cooking!!). In a strange coincidence, I've been looking for a recipe that uses chicken legs because I got some for a smokin' price a couple weeks ago and had no idea what to do with them. Then this recipe dropped into my lap. Beautiful.

Chili and Honey Chicken Legs
2 Tbsp chili powder (not pure chile powder)
1 Tbsp mild honey
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper4 whole chicken legs (2 lbs), thighs and drumsticks separated

Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 425. Line bottom of a 15x10 inch shallow baking pan with foil and set an oiled large metal rack in pan.

Stir together chili powder, honey, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, then add chicken and turn to coat completely.

Transfer chicken to rack, arranging in one layer, then bake, turning over once, until cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes.

*****

I have no idea how to separate a chicken leg into thigh and drumstick, so I think mine are staying whole. Unless it's painfully obvious how to do it once I take out the chicken. I'm still not really sure what kind of pan I'm going to use. I think I have a 15x10 roasting pan, but it's not shallow. I could use a cookie sheet, but then I don't have a metal rack that will fit. I'll see what strikes my fancy when I get in the kitchen.

Still not sure what we're going to have with this. I may be completely shameful and make a package of teriyaki noodles (kind of like Pasta Roni) that I have in the pantry.

No comments: