Saturday, March 8, 2008

Tomato Basil Quiche

I had some pie crusts in my freezer, so I thought I'd make a quiche because I also had Egg Beaters to use up. We were going to have this on Wednesday night, but since grandma was keeping the boy, we couldn't pass up going out! We had it last night after the boy went to bed. Believe it or not, this was my first time making quiche. It was so easy, I'll definitely be putting more quiche (quiches?) into rotation! I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and used some of the modifications suggested in the reviews.

Tomato and Basil Quiche
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dried basil
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake pie shell in preheated oven for 8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft; remove from skillet. Sprinkle tomato slices with flour and basil, then saute 1 minute on each side. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. season with salt and pepper.
3. Spread 1 cup shredded cheese in the bottom of pie crust. Layer onions over cheese, and top with tomatoes. Cover with egg mixture. sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until filling is puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.

*****

So, instead of slicing tomatoes I diced them after taking out all the seeds so they wouldn't be too soggy. I also used fresh basil. I put the tomatoes and basil into a bowl and added in some Italian breadcrumbs (didn't measure, just poured) and mixed them around until the tomatoes were coated with the breadcrumbs. I also cooked the onions so they were more caramelized than just soft.

We both really liked it! The husband had three or four servings, actually! There wasn't a whole lot left for today (the recipe said it was for six servings). The nutritional information was given on the website, and it seemed really high to me...383 calories and 26 grams of fat per serving! I'm thinking mine was healthier since I used Egg Beaters instead of regular eggs, skim milk, and 2% cheese.

No comments: