Sunday, March 16, 2008

Stuffed Pork Chops

I was going to post this earlier today, but it was something I was creating as I went, so that wasn't going to work. I had this idea for pork chops a couple weeks ago but kept pushing it back on the menu. Plus I wanted to come up with a sauce and wasn't tasting anything in my head that went with it. Tasting in my head? You know what I mean.

So I knew the basics of what I wanted to do but looked for a recipe anyway. I found one on the Whole Foods website (who knew they had recipes on there?! Guess what I'm doing during nap time tomorrow!!) and one with a sauce kind of like what I was looking for from a Google search (here it is). The second one I liked the idea of the sauce, not the actual recipe. The Whole Foods recipe was pretty close to what I wanted to do.

Darn...I meant to write down what I was doing as I did it. I think I remember all of it.

Stuffed Pork Chops
1 box cornbread Stove Top
2 handfuls Craisins
2 handfuls pecans
4 pork chops
3/4 cup apple juice
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp cornstarch

Prepare Stove Top according to package directions. Chop pecans using food processor or food chopper. Add Craisins and pecans to Stove Top and mix. Make a pocket in each pork chop (similar to how I did the chicken in this recipe) and stuff with Stove Top mixture. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray the pork chops with canola oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. In a medium size skillet, sauté each pork chop for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove each pork chop and place in a sheet pan. Cook the pork chops in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the apple juice, syrup, mustard, and butter. Whisk together until almost boiling. Add in corn starch, whisk, and heat until sauce is thickened. Spoon sauce over pork chops.

*****

I hate having to write out my own recipes. I hope it makes sense. The Stove Top was kind of bland, which I probably should have expected. I was originally going to add apples to it but only had Gala, and I thought they'd be too sweet for this. I also meant to use chicken stock instead of water, like in the Whole Foods recipe. I thought after I had stuffed the pork chops some flat leaf parsley would have added some fresh flavor. I wanted to add some sage but didn't have any. Note to self...add sage to grocery list.

So...I'm ridiculously pleased with myself for the sauce. It was AWESOME. I could have eaten the whole saucepan of it and skipped using it on the pork chops. The pork chops were really good too. I assume part of the goodness was the awesome sauce. Did I mention how awesome it was? It was awesome...in case I hadn't made that clear. ;)

All in all, this was a really good dinner. We had the leftover Stove Top on the side along with Color Glazed Carrots. I would definitely make this again!!

(BTW, the husband said he gives it four thumbs up...which I guess is good.)

No comments: