Monday, March 17, 2008

Shepherd's Pie

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!! Are you wearing your green today? I wasn't...the bank teller reminded me. Not so good for a girl with an Irish husband! So I changed shirts when I got home. Conveniently the boy wanted all of his clothes off when I changed his diaper, so I swapped out his outfit for something with green, too.

I bought a six pack of Guinness when I was grocery shopping today and we're having Shepherd's Pie for dinner. Probably not the most Irish meal, but we had it when we were in Ireland, so I figured it counts. Granted, we also had pizza while we were there, but that wasn't something on the menu everywhere we went. Now if I was really being Irish, I'd make fries to go with it because EVERYTHING we ate in Ireland came with fries. Yes, even the pizza. Seriously.

I actually bought an Irish cookbook while we were there, but I flipped through it last night and nothing really seemed feasible to make. Or rather nothing I wanted to make or nothing that sounded good that all three of us would eat.

Shepherd's Pie
1 lb ground beef
1 packet brown gravy mix
1 package frozen mixed vegetables
Mashed potatoes
Shredded cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef in a skillet until cooked. In a small saucepan, make gravy according to package directions. Once ground beef is done, stir in vegetables and gravy until desired sauciness. Transfer beef/veggie/gravy mixture to a pie pan or 8-inch square pan. Top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is melted.

*****

This is so easy to make...I love it. I think I'm going to use Boca Grounds instead of ground beef since we're still trying to cut back more on our meat consumption. I need to get started on it soon. I have a free Coldstone coupon that expires today, so we have to run over there tonight after dinner. I am not one to let free ice cream go to waste!

No comments: