Saturday, March 8, 2008

Pecan Crusted Chicken

So, a few weeks ago my MOPS group had a Mom's Night Out at one of those Dream Dinners places, where you go and prep meals to stick in your freezer. I'd been really curious about them but didn't want to spend the money to actually go to one as the meals seemed on the expensive side to me. But this was free, so I figured it was worth going. We assembled pecan crusted chicken, and I made note of the ingredients in case it was good so I could make it again on my own. My friends Jen A. and Jen B. made theirs already and gave it mixed reviews. Jen A. really liked it, Jen B. thought it was okay.

I couldn't decide if I should type up the recipe like you're going to freeze it or make it, but I decided I'd do it as if you're going to make it. If you want the freeze directions, let me know and I'll post them as well.

Pecan Crusted Chicken
3 frozen chicken breasts
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 Tbsp diced garlic
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2/3 cup crushed pecans

Marinate chicken in buttermilk, thyme, and garlic for one hour to overnight. Combine Panko, salt, pepper, and pecans in a shallow dish. Discard marinade. Place chicken breasts into crumb mixture, pressing crumbs onto both sides.

Place chicken on cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Lightly spray top of chicken. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-18 minutes.

*****

We thought the chicken was only okay. It's probably not something I'd make on a regular basis, but it wasn't bad. I have chicken recipes I make that I like better. And I definitely wouldn't pay the $13 Dream Dinner charged for three servings of it. I had used closer to a tablespoon of garlic, and it kind of overpowered the flavor of everything else. I couldn't taste too much of the pecans. It was nice that it was all put together and all I had to do was stick the whole thing in the fridge to defrost this morning, but like I said I don't think it's something I'd make on my own.

No comments: