Sunday, March 23, 2008

Fudge Crostata with Raspberry Sauce

Sounds fancy, doesn't it? Fudge Crostata. This pie makes life worth living. My awesome sister-in-law Tracie sent me this recipe years ago, like a few months after the husband and I had met. Then I lost it. Then she sent it to me again. Then I lost it. Then she sent it to me again. Then I lost it. I just recently asked her for it again after sucking up my pride since I had asked her for it so many times before. She willingly sent it again...one of the reasons she's so awesome! And really I did her a favor because she'd forgotten about it and now wants to make it. But there's no way I'll lose it again. For one thing, it's here...immortalized forever.

The first time I made this was for a girl's night I had a looooooooooong time ago. The raspberry sauce was fan-freakin-tastic. We were dipping anything we could find it. I may have eaten it with a spoon. Or drank it from the container...but I wouldn't ever admit that if questioned. Ah the things you can do when you live alone. The last time I remember making it was a few months before the husband and I got married, probably about five years ago. Way too long.

My mom asked me to bring dessert for Easter dinner, and frankly I jumped at the chance so I could make this luscious, tasty, delectable, amazing, chocolatey dessert. I won't keep you waiting any longer...here you go.

Fudge Crostata with Raspberry Sauce
1 pkg semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup ground almonds, optional
1 egg
1 egg, separated

Sauce
1-12oz pkg frozen raspberries without syrup, thawed
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

Garnish
whole raspberries, sweetened whipped cream

Prepare pie crust according to package for two crust pie using 10" tart pan or 9 inch pie plate. Place 1 prepared crust in pan, press in bottom and up sides of pan. Trim sides.

Heat oven to 425 degrees. In small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips with 2 Tbsp butter, stirring constantly until smooth. In medium bowl, beat remaining 6 Tbsp butter with 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add almonds, 1 egg,, egg yolk and melted chocolate. Blend well. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of pie crust-lined pan.

To make a lattice top, cut remaining crust into 1/2" strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over chocolate mixture. Trim edges and seal. In small bowl, beat egg white until foamy, brush over lattice. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Reduce temp to 350. Bake an additional 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cover edge of pie crust with strips of foil after 15-20 minutes of baking to avoid brown edges. cool.

In a blender, blend raspberries at highest speed until smooth. Press through strainer to remove seeds. In small saucepan, combine raspberry puree, 3/4 cup sugar and lemon juice. blend well. Bring mixture to a boil over medium low heat. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool. Serve pie with sauce.

*****

Are you drooling all over your computer? I am...I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm probably drooling more than you because I can smell the pie cooling on my counter. I hate melting chocolate. I hate double boilers even more. So I melt chocolate in the microwave. Just make sure you use a glass bowl. I lost my most favorite plastic mixing bowl melting stuff in the microwave...and had a huge mess in my microwave.

Oh, I left out the almonds. I think I've used them when I made it before, but this time I decided to leave them out and just have pure chocolate.

Darn, I should have taken pictures when I was making the lattice crust. It's pretty easy to do, just weave the crust.

The boy is up from his nap, so I need to make the raspberry sauce. I tried to do it when he was sleeping, but he started making noise. Darn noisy blender. My food processor is much quieter.

I'll report back later how it was, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be amazing.

No comments: