Saturday, February 16, 2008

Spaghetti and Meatballs

I heart spaghetti and meatballs! I'm really excited for dinner tonight. We didn't end up having the frittata last night because neither of us were hungry. The husband said why didn't we have it tonight, but I've been dying for spaghetti and meatballs. This is my mother-in-law's recipe, and it's so good. I've tweaked it a little the last few times I've made it.

Meatballs
lean ground beef – 2 pounds or more
Italian bread crumbs ( 1 to 1 1/2 cups)
chopped onion – 1 chopped fine
parsley (1 1/2 tab minced)
grated Parmesan cheese (3/4 cup)
eggs –2
salt/pepper
garlic powder

Mix ingredients for the meatballs (ground beef, italian bread crumbs, chopped onion, parsley, grated parmesan cheese, and eggs. Salt and Pepper. Shape into balls and fry in a little olive oil.

Sauce
3 jars Ragu Sauce traditional 1 lb 10oz
1 can tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
Italian Seasoning
Onion
Garlic
Bay leaf
Meatballs or Italian susage
½ to 1 cup of water

Saute onion and garlic. Brown paste. Add Ragu and previously browned metballs. Add sugar, Italian seasoning and bay leaf. Simmer 1-2 hours.

*****

I only used one pound of hamburger and forgot the parsley. For the sauce I just used one jar of Ragu. I cook the meatballs in the pot I'm going to use for the sauce so the bits on the bottom of the pan get absorbed into the sauce. I used my new enamel pot (okay, it was a Christmas present, but this is the first time I've used it). Once the meatballs were all done I added some garlic to the pan and deglazed it with a bit of red wine. Then I added in the other stuff. I let just the sauce simmer for awhile and then added in the meatballs.

No comments: