Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pan-Seared Tilapia with Citrus Vinaigrette

Once again I've fallen behind in my posts! This was our dinner on Tuesday night. My friend Jen B. recommended it to me after she made it a few weeks ago. It was from the January issue of Cooking Light. The vinaigrette sauce was sooooo good!!

Pan-Seared Tilapia with Citrus
Cooking spray
4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/2 cup white wine
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
4 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle fish evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add 2 fillets to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining fillets.

Add white wine to pan; cook 30 seconds or until liquid almost evaporates. Combine shallots and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a whisk; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add shallot mixture to pan; sauté 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Place 1 fillet on each of 4 plates; top each serving with about 3 tablespoons sauce.

*****

So I felt pretty dumb the day after I made this. I thought I had cooking sherry to use, but when I looked in the fridge I couldn't find it. I had no idea what to substitute for it, so I went with white wine vinegar. The next morning the magazine was still sitting open on the counter and it flat out said "Sherry vinegar is mildly acidic. If you can't find it, substitute white wine vinegar." Way to be a thorough reader, Claire!

We had a really yummy couscous along side the fish that was in the magazine, but it wasn't an "official" recipe. It was basically couscous with some dried cranberries, slivered almonds, flat leaf parsley, and olive oil mixed in. Quite tasty!

No comments: