Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Prosciutto Ravioli

So, I thought I was being really creative with my dinner tonight. I had some prosciutto in the fridge and saw wonton wrappers on sale at the store last week, so I thought, "Cool, I'll use the wonton wrappers and make my own raviolis with prosciutto and some ricotta." Then I was reading through a Giada De Laurentis cookbook (Everyday Pasta) and saw a recipe for prosciutto raviolis using wonton wrappers. I was so bummed...I thought I'd had this great original idea, but really it was something I just tucked away in the back of my head. Lame! Oh well. Here's the recipe:

Prosciutto Ravioli
1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
2 large egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
48 wonton wrappers
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
Freshly grated pecorino

Whisk the ricotta, spinach, prosciutto, egg yolks, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl to blend.

Place 1 tablespoon of the ricotta filling in the center of a wonton wrapper. Brush the edge of the wrapper lightly with water. Fold the wrapper in half, enclosing the filling completely and forming a triangle. Pinch the edges to seal. Transfer the ravioli to baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers. (Can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate.)

Melt the butter in a heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add the oregano and stir 1 minute. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
Working in batches, cook the ravioli in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer the ravioli to a large shallow bowl.

Pour the oregano butter over the ravioli and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle the pecorino over the ravioli and serve.

*****

I'm using lowfat ricotta and some Egg Beaters instead of egg yolks. I also only have half a package of spinach, and I have parmesan not pecorino. This is my first attempt making something like this, so we'll see how it turns out!

No comments: