Friday, May 8, 2009

Three Cheese Enchiladas

I realized last night that I needed a new plan for tonight's dinner. I had originally put falafel on my menu plan, but I realized last night that all I had to go with it was hummus. So, I had to come up with something else. I wanted to stick with a vegetarian meal, but I couldn't come up with anything looking through my fridge, freezer, and pantry. So, I turned to RecipeZaar.com. I remembered I had just bought some goat cheese at Costco, so I searched on that and then narrowed it down to simple main dish recipes. This was one of the first that came up, and I have everything on hand--including some things I'd like to use up before we leave on Sunday. Perfect!! Now I just have to decide if the husband and I will wait and have dinner after the boy goes to bed.

Three-Cheese Enchiladas
Recipe #369657

1 medium yellow onion
1 small red bell pepper
4 scallions
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 1/2 ounces monterey jack cheese
1 1/2 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons salsa or taco sauce (hot or mild)
8 corn tortillas
1 (10 ounce) can red chili sauce or enchilada sauce

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mince yellow onion; stem, seed, and finely dice bell pepper (there should be about 1/2 cup each). Mince scallions. Heat 2 t. oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 4 minutes. Add bell pepper, half the scallions, and the cumin; cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Grate Monterey Jack cheese. Place half the grated cheese, the goat and cream cheeses, salsa, and onion mixture in mixing bowl; stir until blended.

Wipe out skillet. Heat remaining 1 T. oil in skillet over medium heat. Briefly cook tortillas, 1 at a time, in oil until pliable, not crisp, about 1 minute each side. Spoon cheese mixture onto tortillas and roll up, folding ends under. Place in 10x8-inch baking dish. Spoon red chili sauce over enchildadas. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese and scallions. Bake until very hot, 15-20 minutes.

© 2009 Recipezaar

*****

I don't have a red pepper, so I'll have to come up with something else for that or just skip it. I don't have enough Monterey Jack cheese, so I figure I'll substitute cheddar. Oh, and I'm going to use whole wheat flour tortillas instead of corn. Reading over this recipe again, I'll probably increase the amount of each cheese...doesn't sound like a whole lot, and you know how we LOVE cheese!

*****

I didn't end up making these, but I'm keeping the post here because I want to make them at some point. My mom called that day inviting us to my aunt and uncle's house for dinner on Saturday night, so I moved the lasagna to Friday night.

1 comment:

Corrinne said...

This sounds great, Claire! You always post the best goat cheese recipes....i recently was a fan of the Creamy Tomato Pasta with Goat cheese (Chavrie of course). THank you for another great post!